Friday 15 April 2011

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step



5 months, 21 weeks, 149 days, 3,583 hours, 49 minutes and about 10 seconds until i get on a plane at heathrow to Australia with my travelling friend Han. That doesn't seem like a long time at all. 21 weeks!! CRAZY!
I have wanted to do this trip for as long as I can remember - before the youtube sensation that was 'Gap yah' and before taking a year off was seen as a clever addition to your CV. I don't want to go travelling in order to appear cool in freshers at uni (I've done uni and considering I did a law degree I don't think I was 'cool') and I don't need to add anything to my CV because I don't think I'll be applying for a job anytime soon.....
I want to travel to satify every romantic picture I have in my head about it. To feel completley free, adventerous and alive. And maybe fit some sunbathing in along the way!
There have been some great travllers - Christopher Colombus found the great USA, James Cook with New Zealand and interestingly Thomas Cook put together the concept of package holidays (joy) from his love of travelling and exploring for pleasure.
I hope to follow in some of these greats footsteps (although I'm sure I porbably won't discover a continent a long the way). Which leads to where my exploring takes me - Australia, Thailand, South America, Costa Rica, North America.....so far. I think that's enough to be getting on with at the moment!
Time for the checklist -

1. decide where to go - check
2. who to go with - check
3. book flights - check
4. boring essentials - insurance, jabs, equipment - nope
5. fun stuff - bikinis, hats, sunnies, tanning oil, cute travel wardrobe - mood board created. shopping to follow
6. buy case - to do
7. pack - will take a very long time.

Still soooo much to do and plan and really I like to think the adventure has already started. As with going out the getting ready is half the fun!

HX

No comments:

Post a Comment